Tuesday, March 6, 2012

God Speaks...

I've been reflecting today (as the result of a wonderful conversation with a friend) on the fact that God speaks to His people.  Sometimes it's tricky to discern His voice.  We have to (1) know His character, (2) know His Word, (3) watch for confirmations through others and circumstances, and sometimes (4) we just have to wait.  Today has been one of those days when I have experienced Him speaking to me in His own subtle, lovely ways.  This culminated in reading my NZ "The Word for Today."  The devotional spoke to me, and I thought I would share it.  (It is copied at the end of this blog.)

Since my last blog post, I can already see how God is continuing to form me and speak more truth over my life in the process.  I have slowly started moving into my office.  Tomorrow I am taking some more books to leave there.  I've visited another church and youth group for the first time, East City Wesleyan and their student ministry, SURGE.  It was a wonderful experience, and I am looking forward to building a stronger relationship with them.  I've already gained quite a few Facebook friends out of the visit. :) 

I went through the car-hunt process and came out of it yesterday when I officially paid for and drove home my adorable 1997 Mazda Demio hatchback which I have named Ruthie.  One of my Kiwi friends suggested the reference to Ruth/Naomi as one that would say, "whereever you go, I will go."  I love it. :)  I'm slowly gaining confidence with the whole driving on the left-hand side of the road thing. 

I've also met with three different youth leaders over the past week.  Tonight, after a wonderful coffee meeting, a few of us went walking around the bay after dark.  It was a perfect close to the day. I drove home with the comforting thoughts in my mind, "This feels like home."  Tomorrow night, I am going to Papakura youth group to hear a student speak.  Last week, he told me that he would be willing to speak the next time I was able to visit.  I'm really excited. :)  Thursday, I have a meeting with the National Youth Ministry Director to do some hard-core planning/discussing about our goals and plans for the national calendar.  On Friday, I will be going with a youth pastor/missionary friend into one of the schools for the day to observe/learn more about Kiwi youth culture.  I am spending the weekend with her.  Friday night, I will speak to her youth at Shore Grace.  Sunday morning, I will be with her at her for morning worship as well.  Then Sunday night, I am speaking at East City Wesleyan. 

In the midst of all the activity and getting settled, I just sense God's presence.  While I haven't heard a booming voice from the heavens, I have a peace that He is speaking words of encouragement over me.  I hear His pleasure while I wait on Him, trying to discern what my role here looks like.  I hear His truth as He teaches me through the testimony and example of my new Kiwi friends and co-laborers in the Gospel.  His Word resonates in my spirit.  My God speaks.

Ok, below is the promised devotional, if you are still reading that is.  :)   

The Word for Today, Tuesday, March 6th:

"Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain who build it..."  Psalm 127:1 NKJV

In God's Kingdom, centre stage is not for those who think they've got their act together and deserve public recognition.  Nor is it limited to those in leadership and public ministry.  It's a call to action, to you, whoever and wherever you are today.  When you trust God's timing He grooms you for bigger and  better parts.

But there are some things you must and must not do:  (1) Don't try to make it on your own.  Popular wisdom says, 'Fake it till you make it,' and you'll be tempted to debut in your own strength.  Don't do it!  If you do, you will get in the way of a much greater production.  The Bible says, 'Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain who build it.'  Trust God, and when your moment comes He will give you your cue.  (2) Leave the shadows.  Are you ready to transform 'acting' into an authentic performance that reveals the real you?  Fear of rejection is powerful.  It takes courage to be yourself.  But you gain strength from the struggle and power from the pain when you are willing to risk moving from the shadows into the light.  (3) Confront your inner critic.  We are all subject to the little voice within that says, 'You'll never be smart enough, rich enough, pretty enough or good enough to stand in the spotlight.'  But when God raises you up, nobody can put you down.  So remind your inner critic of God's promise: '... You shall go to all whom I send you, and whatever I command you, you shall speak' (Jeremiah 1:7 NKJV).

No comments:

Post a Comment