Monday, November 12, 2012

My Life in a Movie

I ask for forgiveness ahead of time for the slightly girly/non-spiritual nature of this blog post. :)  Today I was watching (for the millionth time) the Anne of Green Gables movies.  I grew up on these movies and books, largely because of the influence of my Grandma Maxine who shared her love for the movies with me.  Every summer, she and I would watch the movies at least a couple times together.  I brought the DVD's with me to NZ because I knew I would be homesick for time with Anne.



Today, I started to realise something about the movies.  Throughout every stage of my life so far, I've found specific connection and inspiration from different parts of Montgomery's fictitious story of Anne Shirley.  As a kid, I loved the first bits of the first movie, when Anne is a 12 year old imaginative misfit.  I always related and aspired to her incredible imagination and sense of being a bit odd (yet being ok with it).  As a teenager, I loved the school day adventures of Anne, Diana, Ruby, etc.  I sought to build friendships that were as deep and cultivating of the imagination as Anne's friendships.  I discovered Diana's in people like Trina, Tiffany, Emily, Mandy, and more.  I also loved watching her interactions with the teacher that inspired her, Ms. Stacy, and I found a few of my own Ms. Stacy's during my school experience (including but not limited to Ms. Minear, Mrs. Liddle, and Mrs. Davis).  And of course, I started to keep an eye out for real, live Gilbert Blythes. :)

During my university and seminary years, I looked to Anne as she excelled in her educational endeavors, winning the Avery Scholarship and performing at the top of her class.  She completed her teacher's course in one year instead of two, and I wished my work ethic was something like hers.  I also started to see how Anne influenced the people around her.  She cared for people in a way that was transforming.  As I began in ministry, I learned a lot from how Anne built and nurtured relationships.

Now, as I'm far way from home, I suppose I'm in the Kingsley Ladies College phase.  Anne goes off on her own on a great adventure where she learns about the world and herself.  She finds new challenges, but she handles them with grace and courage.  She makes a difference.  I hope I can do the same!

Of course, the movie then ends with Anne realising the love of her life--Gilbert.  I'm not exactly anticipating that scene in my own life in the near future--I certainly have no clue who he is if that's the case.  SO right now, it seems the comparisons stop there. :)

Still, I've just been reflecting on the power of such a story to connect with a life on so many levels at so many stages.  I wonder--anyone else have a fictional book or movie that has played such a role of helping you to "read" your own life?  Please don't think I'm a freak who believes Anne was a real person or worships these stories in some way.  Anne is no Savior, and I'm fully aware of that.  But tonight I'm thankful for people like L.M. Montgomery who could craft a story and a character in such a way to make me feel as though I've had a friend and role model in her books to walk with me through my early life and into adulthood.  Pretty awesome in my opinion.  Anyone else have any such experiences?

No comments:

Post a Comment