Thursday, February 9, 2012

I'm in Love...

Kia ora from Aotearoa!!! That is, hello from the Land of the Long White Cloud (New Zealand)!!!  We still don't have internet at our house, so my communication has been limited. Pray that the router comes today and hooks up without a problem!

Yes, I think I'm in love. This has to be what it feels like, but I'm in love with a people, a place, and a culture (actually, multiple cultures) rather than a guy.  My flatmate and I watched a chick flick the other night to chill out before going to bed. Afterward, in the reality post-movie let down, I remembered where I am and realized that my actual reality is better than the movie's false one!!! I'm in love!!!!! Every time I'm around teenagers here, my heart breaks and spirit soars at the same time. Can't explain it. I'm praying daily for an outpouring of the Spirit that will bring heaps and heaps of these youth to the hope of Jesus Christ.

Life here is beautiful. Can't wait to share pictures. Next week I leave for a ten day trip seeing different parts of the North Island and connecting with churches. I will take lots of pics too.



My little house (above) is seriously perfect and the landscape is beautiful. My flatmate, Jessica, is great. I definitely see God's hand in putting us together.  She is doing sports ministry in a school and a church.

I've got some amazing time with Joanne, Carmel, Sara, and Steph as well, my instant circle of friends. For those who don't know, Jo became an immediate best mate when I was here before. She's a called and gifted youth pastor who seriously shares my heart. Its been so good to go for a stroll and a coffee with her and just get quality hang out and talk time again as well as to see her in ministry action this week. Carmel is a young adult believer whom I just met in person.  She has a passion and gift for evangelism and is just a lovely gal.  She recently started working in youth ministry at her church as well.  She took me driving for the first time on Monday night!  Sara is an American who graduated from IWU and has been here for five years as a teacher.  We watched the Superbowl together. :)  Steph is an American missionary youth pastor at one of our churches and is the gal I came with the first time to NZ. All that to say, relationship building is alive and well, so I don't feel isolated.

I've played ping pong, dodge ball, and croquet already with teenagers. I've also walked through the botanical gardens in Manurewa as well as part of Totara Park. I'm keeping active and eating healthier than ever before--already lost almost 8 pounds!!  I spoke on Wednesday night for Papakura youth group.  Nothing like sharing my heart for Jesus with teenagers to get me stoked!!!  I also had a phenomenal meeting with Pastor Atu, the National Youth Ministries Director whom I will be working very closely with here in New Zealand.  We truly share a heart and vision, and I'm honored to learn from and serve with him.

I'm constantly observing and learning culture. Its draining actually, because nothing is mindless, but I'm loving the challenge and mental thrill. FYI, I've found my Hebrew vowels are very helpful in learning to pronounce Maori words.

In His Love,
Amba

3 comments:

  1. I love you and am praying for you :) this is such an encouraging post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like reading about your experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  3. G'day Amber-goodonya for the kiwi lingo already. I thought, sweet as she has picked it up very well. Heaps of phrases and vocab in just a few short days. Keep up the good work :-) Cheers

    ReplyDelete