Monday, February 13, 2012

Insights on the Beach for my Land-Locked, Midwestern Friends

So, when I was growing up, a trip to the beach was something that might happen every so many years.  When you are land-locked, going to the beach becomes synonymous with mega-holiday!  I am quickly learning, however, that on an ISLAND, this is not the case at all!  In fact, there are TONS of public beaches within a twenty minute drive of my house!  Going to the beach is not synonymous with holiday here--it's just a normal part of life--like a trip to the park or the store.  So, when you see pictures of the beach on my facebook page, I just want to explain that this doesn't mean I'm here on vacation!  In fact, it means that I am spending time where people are and learning more about Kiwi culture.  This past weekend, I had the joy of spending a day on the beach in a group of seven young adult gals who are all up and coming leaders in the Church in New Zealand.  It was a wonderful time to learn more about culture and engage in some awesome theological discussions.  This trip was more of a one-day holiday than most beach trips because we were visiting friends who had a "bach" (beach house) at Pauanui, which is about 2 and a half hours away.  It also meant that I got some valuable driving experience. :)  However, most beach days will be close to home.  Going to the beach is a cheap way to chill out and build relationships for an evening or a Saturday!  It's also a common youth group excursion. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment